Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Move over, Spielberg - part III

I spent a while not so much reviewing the video as figuring out the best way to keep track of the material I want to use.

Because I can't use automatic scene detection at the moment, and because the capture program I'm using forces you to break the incoming video stream into sections of ten minutes or less, my raw video is split into a dozen or so files, each five to ten minutes long. It looks like the best way to handle this in the Vegas software is to load each file in turn into the trimmer, then mark each useful section as a region and save it as a subclip with a meaningful label. Having worked this out I actually got to review maybe five minutes of the raw video and create two subclips containing useful footage.

Now I have the technique sorted out, this evening is set to be a review-fest and by the time I'm done I'm hoping to have all the useful subclips in the project media pane.

I'm actually going to be creating two documentaries, not just one, because as well as going to the reptile expo we also stopped off at the Snake Farm in New Braunfels, and while the subject matter is very similar I decided it'd be better to give each one its own dedicated movie. I also have some ideas about how I want to present each movie, but that needs more thought. How I decide to do each will determine how I organize the clips to create the final movies.

I also checked into FireWire cards (Sony calls it "i.Link" but it's the same thing for all practical purposes). It turns out I can get a card for as little as $15, but I don't think that includes the cable. If I get away from the office early enough today to stop by Fry's on the way home, I may have a quick 5-minute check into that. There's no hurry though, so I may wait until the weekend.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home