Friday, March 30, 2007

Snow, Ice and Gorgons

Snow and ice

We had our first real blast of snow the other night. I didn't really believe the forecast, because when I read it in the early part of the afternoon it was a warm, sunny day. Not long after I got home, though, I looked out of the window toward the west and saw some really nasty looking dark grey clouds between us and the mountains. Then up came the wind and down came the snow. This will be lesson on how quickly the weather can change from spring-like to arctic conditions in a matter of minutes - something to remember whenever we decide to take a trip to the mountains.

Yesterday morning the ground was covered with a white layer - as luck would have it the wind had kept the roads clear so getting to work wasn't a problem. In any case it had all pretty much evaporated by lunchtime. Then my boss told me that the "little bit" that we'd had was just part of a storm system stretching all the way to the Texas panhandle - some people had been killed.

It started up again yesterday afternoon, about the time I left the office. The driving conditions weren't great because the wind was blowing strongly from the north while I was driving east along a very exposed road. The snow was falling horizontally from left to right, and more than once a gust hit the car hard enough that I felt myself being pushed southward - i.e. in danger of going off the road and into some farmer's field. After what my boss had said, I admit to feeling a little worried.

It must have stayed pretty cold overnight because this morning there was crunchy ice on the driveway and some big, evil patches of ice on the road all along the four or five miles up to the freeway. Hopefully they'll have melted away before I leave today. The forecast says there's a chance of more snow later then it's supposed to be sunny and warm over the weekend... but I've already been warned to be ready for more snow.

I think I need to look into trading in the car for a Jeep...

Meanwhile in mythical ancient Greece...

Kate and I are both finding Titan Quest more than a little addictive. Kate was having trouble getting past three Gorgons in the Pythian Caves, until we found some information hinting that one of the Gorgons used magic to restore the health of the other two while you're fighting them. All we had to do was figure out which one; Kate was able to send that one down for the long dirtnap and with it gone the others weren't far behind.

One thing I can't wait to do is set us up a multiplayer game so that we can go through the quests together.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home