Friday, November 18, 2005

Move over, Spielberg - part V

I had to work later than planned yesterday and by the time I got back to reviewing video I was too tired to do more than a little of it. I'm partway into the fourth of the nine files, though, and if I can get a couple of hours on it today I may be able to finish all of it.

Today I may very well get a FireWire card and cable. There's just one problem... I don't have a free PCI slot, so I'll have to check into a PCI expansion box. The alternative is to yank one of the existing cards to make room. I'm thinking the sound card will be the one to go and I'll just have to make do with the on-board audio in that case.

In any case I then have a choice about what to do with the work I've done so far. I could dump it and use Vegas to recapture the video using automatic scene recognition; that way I don't have to continue trimming the way I am now, but since I've come this far with it I think maybe I'll just carry on, and use the FireWire method after this.

Update: there ain't no such animal

I did a lunchtime run to Fry's to check out on a PCI expansion chassis. One kid there said he'd never heard of such a thing while another said he'd heard of them but never seen one in the store. Since Fry's is a major electronics vendor, selling everything down to individual chips and wires, this came as a great surprise.

I remembered that the major reason I got the sound card in the first place was because the on-board audio was causing performance problems. So now I'm stuck: I can't take out the sound card to make room for FireWire without restoring the performance problem it was installed to fix; I can't pull the modem without losing my Internet connection; no way am I pulling my FX5900 graphics card out.

Which means I have two choices. I can find a PCI expansion chassis somewhere at a reasonable price, or I can forget about FireWire until I upgrade my computer, which won't be happening any time soon.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home