Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Mister Smith

Our primary goal now is to get enough cash together so that we can get our epic flying mounts and have a decent pile of cash left over. In aiming for that we've been running quests, including the Dalaran daily cooking and fishing quests (although the fishing doesn't actually pay any money, as I noticed the other day) and spending time running around various areas mining and skinning (me) and gathering herbs (Kate) to have stuff to put on auction.

A couple of days ago I decided on a new course; I dumped the skinning profession completely and started learning blacksmithing instead. Since there's nowhere in the world we can't go, and my mining skill is maxed so there's nothing I can't mine, learning smithing shouldn't really be a problem.

I started at level 1 two days ago and on the first day I was able to push the skill all the way through to 261. Great going, I thought. Things slowed down toward the end because I needed a lot of mithril, so I had to spend long periods out in the field mining. At the end I got my first thorium-based patterns, which I thought would help because in general I've found it easier to find thorium in relatively large quantities.

So yesterday I went out with a goal of gathering one hundred and eleven thorium bars (I needed fourteen points to push from 261 to Master level at 275; eight bars per point assuming I can make thorium belts and bracers all the way to that point; less one because I had one bar in stock). It didn't work out and I suspect other players were out in the same areas grabbing all the thorium. I did two passes of the Eastern Plaguelands - one of the best areas for thorium - as well as one of the eastern end of the Western Plaguelands and one of Winterspring, and only found enough to make forty-nine bars, less than half my target. Which meant that I was only able to add six points, bringing me to 267. I have two smithing plans that I can learn at 270, which should help, but I'm going to need another twenty-four bars to reach that point.

So I guess the plan for today is the same; I need those twenty-four to start with then probably another forty to get me to Master level. Winterspring was disappointing and I probably won't waste my time there this go around; I'll stick with the Eastern Plaguelands.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home