Friday, January 14, 2005

Please help me find a place in Canada

If you're in Canada, please help me find a job

I'm dead serious. Kate and I are both tired of being stuck in Dallas and having done some looking around we've decided that we'd like to move to Vancouver if we possibly can.

My resume is available if anyone would like to see it, but the short form is that I've been a software developer since 1979. Most of the time since, I've worked in C on embedded, real-time and turnkey systems. The last few years I've been a Java developer pretty much exclusively, doing a lot of client/server work and (because I work on an Email Services team) a lot of work involving JavaMail and SMTP. There's a lot more to it than that, though.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone in the Vancouver area who knows about any open positions that might suit. I have a g-mail account you can use to contact me. Thanks in advance, people.

To boldly go where human hand has never set foot

The Huygens probe has landed successfully on Titan - the furthest touchdown from Earth for any man-made object. No word yet on the pictures it was supposed to take on its way down through the atmosphere, or what kind of surface it hit.

Note that this is a "landing", in contrast to the "drop from a great height and smash yourself to bits" approach of the Ranger Moon probes in the 60's, or way the Venus probes dunked themselves in high-pressure, superheated acid. That's not to say they weren't successful; Ranger was designed to take photos on its way to becoming a permanent - if somewhat dissipated - feature of the lunar landscape, and the Venus probes were designed knowing that the weather there makes a Texas summer look like the inside of a freezer with the door shut.

Anyway Space.com are updating their Huygens page as news comes in. Check it out here.

Update: The Space.com site above hasn't been updated since this morning. Try the Spaceflight Now Mission Status Center instead.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Where no human hand has set foot? Is that anything like, "He clutched the back of his forehead"?

    And dropped from a great height and smash yourself to bits? I did that once. Fortunately the ground broke my fall.

    LOL... You really need a change of atmosphere. Soon.

    Love,
    Kate

    By Blogger Kate Ford, at 12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home