Saturday, May 07, 2005

Back on the air

My regular readers (Sid and Doris Bonkers of Penge) will have noticed that I haven't posted anything for a while. Well, quite a bit has been going on but I just haven't given any time to writing...

First, the auction turned out to be a complete waste of time. Several hundred people viewed the eBay listing page and a couple of people added it to their watch lists - I even dropped the starting price in the hope that it might tempt someone to start the ball rolling with a bid, but it was no good. To be honest that pisses me off - CXA took me about three months to write and, dammit, it's a good program. Three months of a professional developer's time runs to around $15,000 in salary alone, yet I couldn't even get a $500 starting bid. Ah, well... I'm putting it to one side and forgetting about it for a while.

I mentioned a few posts back that I had a couple of other projects going. Well, the woodworking project is complete as far as I can take it, in the sense that the actual wood-butchery part was finished a couple of weeks ago. All that's left is the painting and Kate's taking care of that so, as they say, my work here is done.

My other work-in-progress is a program I'm putting together bit by bit. More about that later, but I can say that I should have something that can be beta-tested in just a few more days if I can get a couple of hours a day in on it.

The biggest thing going on right now is that Kate has been ill for a few days and all my time has been taken up with making sure she's ok. For the last two days the only reason I've had my computer running is to provide a little extra heat for Sierra (Kate's Ball Python) to make sure she wouldn't get too cold while I was away from the house.

In other news, I see that the Labour Party won the election in the UK (good - even thought they seem to have moved to the right in the last few years they still have to be better than any Conservative government); Tom DeLay has still not been arrested and imprisoned; and the Kansas State Board of Edukayshun have proved conclusively that it's possible to have a PhD and be a complete air-head at the same time, as evidenced by a number of people who are (presumably) reasonably intelligent in regards to their own fields of expertise but who seem to lose all rationality and reason when scientific truths clash with their unproven and unprovable religious beliefs. Unfortunately it seems that here in the US - supposedly on the bleeding edge of science and technology - in this twenty-first century, good old seventeenth-century thinking is not only alive and kicking, but actually seems to be on the rise. The scariest part of it is that this stupidity seems to be sneaking its way into government circles. I fear for the future of western civilization if this is allowed to go much further.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home