Thursday, August 07, 2008

The Money Pit

The Deadmines: That was fun, can we do it again?

We held off finishing up in Ashenvale and instead I took on the Deadmines to find the wood I needed for the Paladin quest while Kate took her level 30 Rogue into the marshes north of Menethil Harbour to gather stuff, mostly Tangy Clam Meat.

The Deadmines are a hell of a lot easier with a level 29 Paladin than with a Mage, that's for sure. Even so it's no walk in the park once you get past the instance portal because the Defias Enforcers, Overseers etc. are elites and even at level 17 they can take quite a lot of punishment. I had no problem taking them on one at a time but two was a struggle and if a third joined in the fight (or even just a couple of non-elite Diggers), staying alive was a real challenge.

Many mobs (especially the human/humanoid ones) will, when their health gets seriously low, run off to get help. My Mage could stop that pretty easily with a ranged spell but Paladins don't really have any ranged attacks; the closest thing I have to that is the Judgement spell, and it has a cooldown of something like eight seconds. As a result I can't always use it to stop someone running and in that case the only thing to do is run after them - but if they're going for help there's a risk of running right into a crowd of the helpers. So sometimes the best thing you can do is let the buggers go then finish them off when they come back, and hope you're in shape to deal with any helpers they bring with them.

The reason I mention this is that at one point I was attacked by two diggers and had to let one of them run while I took care of the other. The wounded digger ran around a curve in the tunnel and when he came back it was with big help, in the form of none other than Rhahk'Zor, the level 19 elite Ogre with the big hammer.

With my Blessing of Might, Devotion Aura and a whole bunch of other stuff we were close to evenly matched and it was looking about 50/50 who was going to win. What gave me the edge was my Surprise Move - when my health got down to about a quarter I fired up Divine Protection and while he whacked away with no effect for eight seconds I was able to heal myself with Holy Light, shore that up with Gift of the Naaru and drink a mana potion. Rhahk'Zor didn't last long after that.

With him gone it was on to the Mast Room and Sneed's Shredder. I got the attention of one of the woodcarver goblins near the door and unfortunately one of his friends noticed and joined in; shortly after that a third wandered a bit too close, but by then the first one was almost gone and thanks to a well-timed stun I survived the fight. At that point I looted the goblins and found that one of them had the wood I needed for the quest. Considering how close it had been with Rhahk'Zor at level 19, I wasn't at all confident about taking on the level 20 shredder and then Sneed himself. Now I had the wood I didn't have to worry about that and I made my way out of the mines.

I may go back, and here's why: although I didn't get a single XP the whole trip, I still came out with tin ore (nineteen chunks), iron ore (one chunk), silver ore (two chunks), about ten items of weaponry and armour good enough to auction, almost forty pieces of wool cloth and I think about eighteen of linen, plus a reasonable amount of cash and some vendor trash, and of course the quest item wood I went to find.

There are tin veins and at least one silver vein down there, but the diggers themselves drop ore too (one dropped four, count'em, four, chunks of tin ore) and in fact I think I got as much ore that way as I did from mining ore veins. On top of that the Defias often drop good 'green' items and more than a silver piece in cash. If I'd taken the time to whack every digger in sight, instead of just those that got in my way, I reckon I could have at least doubled the amount of ore I walked away with, and that's without even thinking about getting past Sneed's Shredder. It definitely makes sense to think about another trip in the near future.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home