Saturday, July 04, 2009

Armo(u)rsmith

The armoursmith quests were bugging me and I decided I just wanted to get them out of the way, so I made a big push to get them all finished. If I'd done things the 'right' way - by mining all the mithril I needed myself - I'd still be doing this a week from now, so I checked the auction house and found ore at a decent price. Added to what I already had in the bank it was enough. All that remained was the work of running around to get the quests, making the necessary articles, and closing out.

It all begins in Ironforge where Grumnus the armoursmith trainer gives you a quest to make three types of ornate mithril armour - but you can't make it right away because the plans are rewards for other quests that you have to complete along the way. Worse, he doesn't tell you where you have to go to get started.

The first step is actually to see Hank the Hammer at the forge in Stormwind, who asks you to make six mithril scale bracers. He'll then send you off to Booty Bay to see a guy called McGavan; in turn he sends you off to find Galvan the Ancient, who's at a forge in the middle of nowhere, up in the northeast of Strangethorn Vale.

Galvan then gives you three quests to gather a bunch of materials (one hundred and twenty mithril bars, forty iron bars, five truesilver bars and four citrines) - this is where I fast-tracked by buying the mithril to save time. Iron's not a problem; there's plenty around the Arathi Highlands so one trip out there was enough to take care of that pretty quickly. As it happened I had enough truesilver sitting in the bank, as well as a couple of citrines (I had to buy two more to fill the quota). All that remained was to smelt that lot into bars and take it back to Galvan.

The reward for each quest is the plan for another kind of ornate mithril armour - but unfortunately none of these are the ones you need for Grumnus back at Ironforge. Once you have all three the next step is to run across to the far side of the world to see Trenton Lighthammer in Gadgetzan.

Lighthammer then gives out three more quests, each to make some more items for him, so there's yet more mithril involved as well as other materials. As it happened I'd made sure to get plenty of mithril so it was only the other materials that I had to get together, and that didn't take long.

In return for completing these quests Lighthammer teaches you how to make the three items that Grumnus asked for at the start, so finally it's off back to Ironforge and then buy or gather the materials (I bought) and make the items.

Finally you present these to Grumnus and presto, you're an armoursmith.

Completing this cleaned a stack of low level quests off my list and made two more armour plans available, with more to come as I continue to push the skill level up. It also freed me up to get back to the main task, which is to get the blacksmithing level up as fast as possible. This diversion was worth it, I hope, because it took time away from mining thorium that I need for blacksmithing skill points and also cost money that I haven't been putting back. I'm something like a thousand gold down from where I was a week ago, but on the positive side I'm up to 290 in skill points - just ten points away from being able to learn a stack of new plans and hopefully to be able to put the thorium mining behind me in favour of better areas with more abundant materials. Frankly, I'm getting sick of the sight of the Eastern Plaguelands.

I'm planning on taking a break first, to get some other quests done and mine some higher value metals to auction to try to get the money situation fixed. I really want to get that epic flying mount.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home