Thursday, June 16, 2005

Last one to leave the country, please turn the lights off

This article about how they might repeal the 22nd Amendment and make it possible for Dubya to stay in the White House for yet another destructive term is just plain scary.

Kate pointed it out to me yesterday and to be honest I thought it was some kind of joke at first, but Kate was adamant that it was for real so I thought I'd better do a bit of checking.

It's for real. A bill was introduced in February that if passed will repeal the 22nd amendment. This makes it possible for a President to serve more than two terms.

The scary part is of course just as I said: there's a danger that Dubya could stay in power to continue his policies of destroying the economy and the rights of individuals, and taking the country back to the middle ages in terms of scientific progress and religious tolerance. What a lovely thought.

However it seems that the guys that wrote the bill are Democrats. The interpretation is that they're hoping that this will open the door for Bill Clinton to put Dubya's crap in black sacks on the White House steps.

Me, I hope they're right. In the last election I thought Dubya's record (like lying the country into a fake war and hyping terror threats to give the government an excuse to attack personal freedoms) would be enough to clear him out, but thanks to his other record on rigging election results he got in despite all that. So, I'm not going to get so overconfident in 2008.

If they repeal the 22nd amendment but the Dems get in regardless in 2008, fine. If the Repuglicans stay in - and especially Dubya - I don't think we'll be staying here to watch what's left of the place crumble around us. Rats leaving a sinking ship we may be, but when the rats are leaving because the captain's blowing holes in the hull with a shotgun and hoping a crucifix will save the crew, that's a different story.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Doesn't matter who wrote it or who it sounds like; the point is that it's true.

    On the other point: which won't happen, repeal of the 22nd or the Dems getting voted back in?

    By Blogger Pete Ford, at 11:57 AM  

  • Well if the republicunts stay in office I hope we move on. Frankly I'm sick of Bush and his ignorant cohorts running we the little people into the goddamn ground. I would hate to see him actually get to sit in another term let alone more than 3. God help us all if that happens. Please go to my site and donate to Paypal to help move Pete and I to another country.

    By Blogger Kate Ford, at 12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home