Monday, April 27, 2009

Exploring

One of our goals for a while has been to explore every region so that we can complete the exploration achievement. Until recently it's been more of a background goal, because we've put levelling at a higher priority, but starting the other day we decided to push forward with the exploration. And so we started by finishing up all the areas in the Eastern Kingdoms.

Kate had two little subregions of the Deadwind Pass unexplored (I'd explored these a while ago, mostly by accident when I fell into the gorge and couldn't find my way out) so we started there and got those out of the way.

The next stop was the Badlands - we'd simply never been in there with these characters, so we had to run the entire area to map it. The same was true with the Ghostlands and Eversong Woods. That's where we ran into a problem...

Silvermoon City is a major Horde settlement, and there are two subregions (the city itself, and the ruins) that are on the list of areas that have to be mapped to complete the region. The problem is that the only way to map those areas is to go inside the city walls - past pairs of level 65 elite guards. It was tough, as expected, but we did at least manage to get it done even though I got wiped at least three times. Mostly I would run in first and get the guards' attention; they'd wipe me but by that time I was inside the wall and so all I had to do was wait to become unflagged before resurrecting. At that point my map was updated, and if I got wiped again getting out, at least I was outside the wall. In the meantime, because I'd taken the heat Kate could follow me in without the guards going after her. Not the most elegant strategy, but it worked.

Once Silvermoon was done, that completed the Eastern Kingdoms and we moved on to Kalimdor. We had a lot of areas where we'd explored all but a couple of subregions, and a couple that we'd barely touched, such as Silithus. After a marathon session all we have left to cover is Durotar and Mulgore. Neither should be too tough although both have important Horde settlements - Orgrimmar in Durotar and Thunder Bluff in Mulgore. We'll just have to see how that goes and if one or both is Silvermoon City all over again, so be it.

I have a plan for Orgrimmar: there's an entrance on the west side with a bridge going across the river, and the guards are on the far bank away from the city wall. I'm thinking that if we sneak down the east side of the riverbank we might be able to avoid attracting the guards while still getting close enough to the wall to get the city on our maps. If it works, we should also be able to fish - we only need to catch one fish to complete the "fishing ambassador" quest, so it should take less than twenty seconds.

Of course, that may not work and if that's the case, we're probably back to the Silvermoon City strategy again. We'll know soon enough.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home