Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Battlegrounds

Quite some time ago (October last year, actually) I mentioned here that we'd had a go at the Alterac Valley battleground and that it hadn't worked out too well; Kate's system was just too slow for one thing and mine wasn't much better.

All that same that hasn't stopped her from going battling recently. Having taken on Wintergrasp a few times she got the bug, and now the first thing she does when going into the game is to check how long we have until the next Wintergrasp battle.

I've joined in a few times too, although frankly until we both get machines with faster processors and graphics cards, I've pretty much decided I can't handle the main action - when the Horde come through the fort wall things turn into a free for all with probably forty or fifty players on screen, and my system has a hard time keeping up. It's easier to move away and perhaps take on one of the towers to the south or at least move outside the walls and take on horde that have separated from their main force.

Wintergrasp isn't the only battleground, though, and we've been trying out in some of the others - including Alterac Valley, the place that gave us so much trouble before. As it happens we have quests involving battlegrounds; for example I have one that just involves going through one battle in each of five battlegrounds (win or lose) - if I remember right I have two more to hit to complete that - and another that'll be complete when I'm on the Alliance side when we win in Alterac (the one time I've been in ended up a draw).

The battlegrounds are fun - more fun, I'd say, than Wintergrasp, because there are hard limits on the numbers of players that can be in the instance. Wintergrasp is not an instance; it's a complete zone that happens to be set so that you go PvP just walking in (or riding, or flying, although it's a no-fly zone and you get dismounted with ten seconds if you go in on a flying mount) and it seems that there are no fixed limits on the number of players - each raid party is limited to forty players but from the look of things it's possible to start a second party once the first is filled. The result is complete and utter mayhem. There's a rumour that the latest patch (which may very well be activated today) will address this by adding a queue system to Wintergrasp, like the regular battlegrounds.

Anyway I'll continue battling; I'll make a start by completing battles in those last two grounds that I need, then I'll take on Alterac again until my side gets a win.

In the meantime, though, I still have priorities - I'm still building up the cash reserves toward getting my epic flying mount, so I've been mining and blacksmithing to make items to sell (and incidentally, two items I made last night gave me the last two points I needed to max out my blacksmithing at 450). My gold reserves are just a few hundred shy of the five thousand mark and I have a number of fairly valuable items up for auction which, if they sell well enough, will tip me over that mark.

My target is currently 6,200 gold - that's enough to pay for the Artisan level riding training (5,000) and a bird (190-200 depending who I buy it from) and still have a thousand left in the bank. That may change, though - there have been rumours that the prices are coming down with this new patch. We'll see about that.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home