Monday, August 21, 2006

Hi speed (hic!) inter(hic!)net; Video; Darkstar One

Hi speed (hic!) inter(hic!)net

As mentioned at the end of the last post, we have a problem with our newly-installed high-speed internet connection. It gets very flaky -- web pages timing out, mail not connecting, all that stuff. Strangely it seems to happen mostly in the early part of the evening, say from about 4pm until 8 or 9pm. I tried plugging my office laptop directly into the back of the modem instead of going through the router, and saw the same problem this time. When I tried that before it worked fine -- but that was around 10pm, maybe later.

In any case, the fact that I can make it happen without the router or the long cable that connects it proves that the problem, if it's in our house at all, can only be in the cables or the modem. The fact that it's worse at certain times of day suggests that the wiring and the modem are not the problem -- I can't see how the modem could have problems only at certain times, unless it's missing happy hour at its favourite bar.

We have a tech dude coming to the house tomorrow evening to troubleshoot. I'm hoping he can find the problem and fix it right there on the spot, but we'll see.

Video

I suggested in the last post that I might write up some stuff I've learned about video work as a series of posts. Well, a comment flooded in, asking me to do that. So I will. Watch this space.

Darkstar One

New game! Ascaron's Darkstar One shipped last week and hit the shelves here on Friday. I've played it for a bit and despite some downsides it's very good. Upsides: graphics are good (although I do see some framerate slowdown at times on my less-than-optimal system), I like the storyline, it's challenging enough to stay interesting. Downsides: Missions, trade stations, even star systems are very samey, and there's not much to explore. Maybe Ascaron will do a "Plus" version as they did with Sacred Plus, to address some of that.

It's also very addictive. Tonight, I will be doing something else.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home