Thursday, April 13, 2006

Podcast Fever

It's been weeks since I posted anything here. I've been far too busy with work, other writing projects, messing with home videos and playing games to have had a thought coherent enough to slap into this blog. The only reason I'm writing this right now is that I looked at the Augmented Reality page and noticed green mould growing in the corners and rust on some of the fonts. (There's no point looking for it now - I've cleaned it off, and enriched the blog with vitamin B12 too.) Time to write something, I thought.

Recently I've been rather interested in Podcasts, an interest sparked by a couple of factors: first, I bought Kate an iPod and I was so impressed with what it could do (as far as being able to hold the equivalent of many, many, many CDs in something that'll fit in my pocket) that I promptly went out and got myself one too. The second factor was undoubtedly the inimitable Deek Deekster and his interest in podcasting.

I should point out that Deek has recently mentioned a scaling-back of podcasting - something about blog/pod balance, it seems. All the same I recommend his podcasts; they're better produced than some radio programs. More on his podcast below.

I must admit that I was even tempted to perhaps create an occasional podcast myself, but I've got far too many other things I want to get done right now... a writing project I really want to get finished and some more homebrew DVDs, for starters.

Any road up, here's a selection of some of the finer podcasts that I've come across. I've also added these to the sidebar. To use the link, right click on it and select "Copy Link Location" (you are using FireFox, aren't you?). Now you can paste it into iTunes or whatever you use to capture podcasts. But I didn't really need to tell you that, right?

Pod of Funk

Finest quality, superior workmanship. Deek mixes funky music tracks with interviews; the result is as professional as any radio show. The latest edition, Pod of Funk #4, includes the first part of an interview with Ashley Slater which I found really interesting, not because of his music (not my speed at all, sorry), but because that hoopy¹ Slater comes across as a frood² who really knows where his towel is.

CNN News Update

Hourly news updates, apparently always 3 minutes and 56 seconds long. Concentrates on US news, of course, but still interesting.

Digital Planet

A tech podcast from the Beeb.

Paranormal Podcast

Entertaining claptrap about ghosts, UFOs and other pseudoscience, but presented in a straightforward way without getting overly strident or silly. Interesting.

Point of Inquiry

Podcast of the radio program of CSICOP's Center for Inquiry. The antidote to Paranormal Podcast.

New Scientist

Weekly (I think) science news updates.

Skepticality

These guys do something I admire - instead of pussyfooting around pseudoscientists and crackpots, they take the no-holds-barred approach that the nutcases richly deserve. Kudos to them.

SETI Institute

Podcast of the SETI institute (duh!), hosted by Seth Shostak.

¹ Hoopy: really together guy. ² Frood: really amazingly together guy. You mean you never heard the original Hitch Hiker's Guide?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home