Friday, June 20, 2008

Welcome to the Auction House

We spent some time in the Alther's Mill area knocking down spiders and condors to push us up to level 22, since we were so close to that, and once we'd got the level up it was back to Stormwind for training. I picked up a new spell (Scorch) and a couple of upgrades from the Mage Trainer and while we were there I got a couple of new Formulae from an Enchantment Trainer and picked up a new recipe from a Cooking Trainer. I forgot to hit up the Tailoring Trainer, so I'll make a point of doing that the next chance I get.

While Kate spent a few minutes at the weapons shop in the Trade District I scouted around the square and found the Auction House. Now this is pretty cool - up until now, when I've found items that Kate and I have no use for I've had the choice of disenchanting them or selling them to a vendor. Now I have a third choice - put them up for auction. I had three gems sitting in the bank, because I had no idea what to do with them, so (more as an experiment than anything else) I put them up for sale on 24-hour auctions. The way I understand it, if an item sells I'll get the cash through the in-game mail system and if it doesn't I'll get it back the same way.

Once we were done in Stormwind we went back to Alther's mill and since Stonewatch Tower is very close, went after a few of the orcs that have taken it over. That gained us a couple of axes that counted toward a quest, so we concentrated on those to get the required ten each so we could close out that quest (which we did). I also picked up some uncommon (green) cloth armour - not quite as good as what I already have, and not even close to the leather gear Kate has - and I was planning on selling it to recoup some of what I'd spent on training. Now that's up for auction too. We'll see how this works out but if it makes more cash than I'd get by simply selling the stuff, I think in future I'll gather all the uncommon items I find that we can't use, disenchant one or two so that I keep a supply of Enchantment materials, and auction the rest.

Kate voiced a question that had been at the back of my mind for a while: Where can we get the big money? I know that the most cash I've ever had is not much more than 1 Gold Piece, and so far every time I've managed to get that much I've had to spend most or all of it on training. It can't go on for ever like this - the vendors have swords, daggers, staffs, wands and all kinds of other items that I should be able to use but the prices on many of them are way more than I'm likely to have for a good while, if ever. So how is a player supposed to get that kind of money? I was wondering if maybe that kind of cash is simply out of reach until you get to level 30+, say, but I was also worried that maybe we've been doing something wrong. Maybe the Auction House is the way you're supposed to do these things; who knows? I'll do some checking later but for the moment I'll certainly be using the auctions.

Our next objective is to finish up the Klaven's Tower quest so that Kate can get her poison skill. After that, maybe we'll try the Deadmines again. Or maybe not.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home