Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Grinding for XP

We didn't do much of anything this time - Kate spent most of the time looking for good equipment to give her Warrior the best possible stats, and meanwhile I flew out to Arathi again to whack some more Rumbling Exiles around the Circle of Inner Binding, purely to gather more XP to get me up to level 40. I'm now only about 27,000 points short of that target, and as soon as I get the level-up I'll be able to use Plate armour - my plan is to completely re-equip at that point with the best weapons and armour I can afford.

I could have spent longer in the area but I felt like I'd done enough for one session and flew back to Ironforge. I did make a short trip out, to take a look inside Gnomeregan - we have a quest or two down there but the main reason for going was pure curiosity since I've never been there before. I didn't spend long, only making my way as far as some kind of train station and making a short foray inside the instance portal. I don't know that it's worth bothering with - like the Deadmines it's full of relatively low-level elites (I was attacked by five at one point and although it was a close thing I was still the Last Lifeform Standing) so you can whack away at dozens of them and not get any XP, and I didn't pick up any dropped goodies better than some silk, linen and wool (although I did find a handful of some kind of unidentified dirt-encrusted objects which appear to be quest objects and may be worth something).

Next trip I'm planning to make a big push on XP (probably in Arathi again, but we'll see - Dustwallow Marsh has quite a few level 40-41 beasts, and frankly grinding in the same area over and over gets old pretty quick).

Talent Scout

I did a little bit of research to try to figure out why Kate was having the problem with her damage and it looks like my analysis was right - the majority of Kate's talent points have been used in the Protection tree (Warriors have talents in Arms, Fury and Protection of which Arms appears to be the one related to damage). I'm betting that rebuilding the tree with most of the points in Arms will do the trick, but there's no way to know until we try it.

One thing I did know is that unlearning your talents costs money, and it costs more each time you do it - but I had no idea what that cost is. As it happens it's not too bad; the first time you do it, it costs one gold, the next time it's five. Each time after that it goes up by five gold to a maximum of fifty. The price goes back down again over time, at the rate of five gold per month until it hits a minimum of fifteen. The point is that right now it's affordable, so what we could do is rebuild Kate's talents and if it doesn't work out it wouldn't be a great loss to unlearn them and set them back the way they are now.

In fact for that price I may rebuild my own talents - for the most part they're how I want them but I do have two points on a talent that really doesn't do me much good and would be better spent elsewhere, and I certainly don't mind paying one thin gold to have things exactly the way I'd like them.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home