Sunday, August 24, 2008

Drywhisker Gorge

We went back out to eastern Arathi and found Drywhisker Gorge right where I'd expected (no big surprise - the area northeast of Hammerfall was the only part we hadn't already mapped, so it had to be there).

The Gorge is rotten with Drywhisker Kobolds, all around level 35/36, and it turned out that they were carrying the Motes of Myzrael that we needed for the quest here. Having whacked a few we found a cave with a bunch of minerals to mine - Lesser Bloodstone mostly, but also iron, mithril and the occasional gold and tin. The outcrops respawn pretty quickly, too, making this a good place to come to mine any of those things.

What makes it not so good is that the cave is also rotten with Drywhisker Diggers and Surveyors, up to level 38. The diggers aren't so bad but the surveyors are a pain in the backside because of their frost attacks - they have a tendency to freeze you in place then run to a safe distance and whack you with frost missiles. I have an aura that boosts my frost resistance, and it helped but it doesn't confer immunity and the attacks still do a lot of damage. It's also extremely frustrating when one of the buggers runs off (which they do when their health gets low) and you 'chase' after it at a walking pace because you're part frozen. Next chance I get I'll be looking for something that gives me much better frost resistance.

Regardless, we were able to find all the Motes of Myzrael we needed and also located the Iridescent Shard (needed for the quest) inside the cave; applying the motes to the shard completed the quest for a whopping 3700 XP. This led to the next quest in the chain, to gather three keys from certain stones scattered around Arathi and take them to a fourth stone. We've seen the places the quest mentions; they're guarded by level 38/39 elementals. I'm level 34 and close to 35; Kate hit 36 during the fighting with the Kobolds. I could probably solo a 38 but I'd be hard pressed to beat a 39, so we'll probably wait just a little bit until I hit 35 - I'm only about 3000 XP off and that shouldn't take long.

With all the fighting in and around the cave Kate's armour had started to give out so we went back to Ironforge for repairs and to dump some of the stuff we'd picked up. I lost count of the Kobolds we'd whacked but these guys don't drop much stuff other than silver; for all the fighting I picked up only one 'green' item worth auctioning.

All the same once we'd taken care of repairs and so on, including me buying a more powerful one-handed axe at auction, we went back to the area - Kate wanted to mine more stuff and get more XP from these high-level guys. We did that for a while then called it a day and went back to Ironforge to take care of business.

A Guild Built for Six

One thing I'd done the day before but forgot to mention here was that I spent ten silver on a Guild Charter. The plan was to get all the signatures (you need nine) from Kate's characters and meant Kate creating some new characters to fill up the numbers.

Unfortunately it's not that simple - the signatures have to come from unique players, not just characters, so once Kate had signed it as one character she couldn't sign it again using any of her other characters. That left me with eight sigs to get so I flew down to Stormwind City, since it's a bit busier with lower-level characters who aren't already in guilds, and hung around asking people for signatures.

There seem to be two main methods for getting signatures; one is to offer cash and it turns out that one or two gold is the going rate (some level 70 smartass laughed when I naively offered twenty silver in the trade channel). The other extreme is to simply throw your charter at people and hope they'll sign it, which we've had done to us and I find rude - I've always declined in that case.

I decided on a middle course, which meant asking politely if someone would sign. To make things easier I created some macros - one to ask someone if they'd sign, another to thank them when they did, and a third to thank them for their time when they declined.

I'd managed to pick up four sigs in Stormwind before we went off to find Drywhisker Gorge, then I hit up a few more people around Ironforge before our return trip to Arathi. It turned out that while Ironforge isn't so busy the players there are a little more laid-back and I was able to get the last four sigs pretty quickly.

Once I'd got all the sigs I registered the charter and now we have our own guild. I booted out all the other signatories (I sent them each a mail with a token twenty silver as thanks for their time) then we each brought in our alts and signed them up. So now we have a guild with all our characters as members.

The main reason for getting a guild in the first place was to save money in the long run - it can cost a couple of silver to mail stuff to my Mage character to be disenchanted and the same again to send the disenchant products back, and it soon adds up. And there are other times I need to mail items and cash between characters. A guild vault in the bank would stop that and also give us some extra storage space.

Unfortunately it turns out that a bank vault tab costs one hundred gold - which Kate and I probably have between us, just barely, but it's a heck of a lot of cash at the moment. I don't expect Kate to pay any toward it, since it was my idea in the first place, so it'll have to wait a bit.

Still, it does give us a couple of immediate advantages - for one, we shouldn't be pestered any more by people asking for charter signatures or by people inviting us to join their guilds. I spent a gold and seventy silver setting it up, and as far as I'm concerned it's worth it just for that.

And later down the road, if we decide it's more trouble than it's worth, we can always sell the guild; people do that, and other people pay good money for ready-made guilds - several hundred gold if there's a bank tab in place. So it could be a big earner in the long run.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home