Monday, September 08, 2008

The Quest for the Robot Chicken

Before we began...

My cooking and first aid skills have been coming along pretty nicely the last few days and are both up about as high as I can manage for the time being. Of the secondary skills that just leaves fishing somewhat wanting, so I may take some time out to address that. Or maybe not; I don't know that it's actually necessary, so I don't consider it a priority.

The primary skills have been lagging a bit, though. I can only advance mining/smelting by finding mithril ore and smelting it, and at the moment even smelting the stuff isn't getting me many points, so I need to get out and actually mine some of the stuff so that I can learn to mine higher-level minerals.

However I did spend some time yesterday, before we headed out, trying to advance my blacksmithing. As I've been gathering ore and smelting it I've been adding the metal bars to my collection in the bank, and I'd reached the point where the sixteen-slot bag I was holding them in was overflowing. I had over eighty bars of iron, for example. So I grabbed all the metal and took it over to the Great Forge and (literally) hammered through as many levels as I could, using high-level 'orange' plans to make as much stuff, and more importantly as many points, as I could, and at the same time free up some bank slot space. I started at level 147 and made 171 before I ran out of iron. I need to mine and smelt more iron, and perhaps some copper and tin for bronze, before I can go further. I think I have to get to 200 before I can train at the next level (Artisan, I think).

Anyway since all the stuff I made (and there was a lot of it) was free or pretty cheap (the ore is free; I had to buy some extras, such as flux, dye and leather), I was able to push it all out to the auction house on buyout at under market price. Hopefully I'll make some decent cash off the stuff, but if not I can always vendor it and get something back.

OOX-09/HL

I mentioned yesterday that when Kate hit level 43 I was just a couple of thousand points short of level 42 and went out into the wilds near Aerie Peak to whack a few wolves to make the level.

What I neglected to mention was that one of the wolves dropped an OOX-09/HL Homing Beacon; this thing is a quest starter, but it requires level 43 and so I had no idea what it did. So yesterday I did a little research and found out that it begins a quest chain that ends with you getting a neat little item - a mechanical chicken pet. It's only a pet - it can't help you out in a fight - but it sounds like a bit of fun to have. I mentioned it to Kate, and that set our plan; we had to go out and find another OOX-09/HL so that she could also have a pet mechanical chicken.

We flew from Ironforge direct to Aerie Peak and headed out east. According to the information I'd looked up the homing beacon was a rare drop from the owlbeasts but since I'd got one from a wolf we started with the ones in the area I'd been in at the time (WoWWiki didn't mention the wolves dropping any; I should set up an account and correct that). We spent a while in that area without any luck so we made our way southeast toward an area where we knew there were a lot of owlbeasts.

We whacked some owlbeasts and I found another OOX; that was a mistake. The damn thing binds on pickup and the beast carrying it was my tag - there was no way Kate could get hold of it. Having learned a lesson we grouped up and I set for free-for-all looting.

We whacked away for a good while - at least we got some good XP along the way since the owlbeasts and wolves were mostly level 42-44 - but we didn't find another OOX. By then we were running out of time and about to pack it in when a Silvermane Wolf dropped another OOX. Kate grabbed it; mission accomplished. We hearthstoned straight back to Ironforge and that was that for the night. Next trip, we have four or five quests that we can close out and that may give us enough XP to push us up another level, or at least be very close so that it won't take long to make the difference. As soon as I get to level 43 we're going on the hunt for the Robot Chicken.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home