Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Jewelcrafting, First Aid and a Huge Mechanical Monster

We didn't have much time to do anything yesterday; Kate spent a lot of time helping our son, who just started playing a couple of weeks ago, by finding weapons, armour and other things on the auction house and also making a few things, for which I donated some iron bars and a couple of other things. While she was doing that I spent some time burning up some of the materials I've collected in an attempt to push my jewelcrafting up at least a few points - this was largely fruitless because I very quickly ran out of jewels while still having quite a few stacks of metal bars, especially bronze and mithril.

I think the only way to go forward with this is to go out mining for ore and then prospect it for jewels; the problem with this is that doing so will certainly reduce the amount of cash I can get by auctioning the ores off (although it might result in more excess jewels that can be auctioned), at a time when I really need to be pushing for as much gold as possible to recover from the cost of the riding training.

In fact I've been seriously thinking about dumping the jewelcrafting profession altogether and replacing it with another gathering task, probably skinning. Jewelcrafting is an expensive profession and the returns are limited, at least at the level I'm at; perhaps that'll get better as I get the ability to make more and better stuff, but who the hell knows? It's a tough choice, given how much I've put into it so far that would be lost. Perhaps I'll go mining for materials purely for prospecting, then see how things work out.

Medic!

I headed out to Hellfire Peninsula to take care of one particular thing - obtaining two sets (one set for me, one for Kate) of two books that teach the making of Netherweave Bandages and the 'heavy' variant of the same. The books come from Burko, a Draenei Medic in the Temple of Telhamat in the northwest corner of the Peninsula.

I made my way out to Honor Hold by way of the Blasted Lands and the Dark Portal, rather than hearthstoning, for the same reason as before - I wanted the hearthstone ready in case of an emergency. While I was at the Hold I found a master mining trainer and at last was able to get a bit more training - I can now smelt adamantite and fel iron, among other things.

We hadn't been out to Telhamat before so this was terra incognita and I only had a rough idea of the Temple's location. While the Peninsula was pretty hairy at level 58 it isn't too bad now that we're at level 61, but there is one very scary thing in that area: a Fel Reaver. It's huge, it's level 70 elite, it has a hundred and four thousand health points compared to my slightly less than four thousand, and it wanders all over the western part of the Peninsula.

I rode out from Honor Hold, sticking to the road and moving as fast as I could while watching for the Reaver, and I saw the Temple off to my right at the same time as I saw the Reaver heading on a path that would take him across the road I needed. He didn't seem to be moving too fast - although that could be an illusion caused by his sheer size - so I decided to get ahead of him on the road I was on then cut north to the Temple.

This was a bad move; when I left the road I ran into some kind of vulture. It was about level 58, so not too bad, and I knocked it down fairly quickly - but then another one latched on, then as that one went down another attacked. And all the time I could see the Reaver getting closer.

After about the fourth vulture went down the Reaver was just southeast of me and I was sure he'd spot me if I stayed where I was so I ran for it, with at least one more vulture still pecking at me, until I reached the Temple steps and safety.

I found Burko and got the books and also found, thank Dog, a flightmaster. By this time Kate was running a quick herb-gathering pass of the Blasted Lands on her way to the Dark Portal, so I flew back so that we could hook up and then we went together back to Honor Hold and she followed me from there back out to Telhamat so that she could map the area and get the flight path. This time it wasn't so bad - it was a pretty straight run and the Reaver was well behind us, and Kate made one quick stop to pick a herb she spotted. The Reaver was just coming into sight over the rise to the east as we ran the last short distance to the Temple.

Time was up; we flew to Shattrath and did our usual tidy-up before quitting for the night.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home