Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Durotar: The Silvermoon Strategy

We decided to begin our exploration of Durotar by getting Orgrimmar out of the way first, and we started by trying the idea I mentioned yesterday - I swam under the bridge leading into the west side of the city in the hope that I'd get close enough to register on the map. It didn't work; even as close as I got to the walls by the gate, I still obviously wasn't close enough.

That left the other strategy - the one that had worked, after a fashion, in Silvermoon City. I used a Free Action potion this time, giving me 30 seconds of immunity to stuns, then jumped on my horse and ran like stink across the bridge and into the city, with three orc grunts chasing me. With the grunts latched onto me that gave Kate the chance to follow me in without being attacked.

We'd got Orgrimmar on the map the second we'd cleared the bridge and I was some distance from the bridge and gate before the potion wore off and one of the grunts managed to stun me off my horse, and they started bashing the hell out of me. I fired up Divine Protection to give me a chance to heal myself, mostly so that I could get further from the gate before they wiped me, but to my amazement the grunts stopped attacking me and ran back. I can only assume that I'd run them beyond their range. In any case I was inside Orgrimmar and still alive.

Kate tried to get to where I was and would have made it too - most of the orcs wandering around were around level 65, I think - but she got a little too close to a level 80 elite and I couldn't get back to her in time to help out (not that I would have been any help against that guy). At least I was still alive and able to use Redemption to resurrect her in a safe spot.

We had one other thing to do - the Fishing Diplomat quest (not 'Ambassador' as I wrote yesterday), which requires catching one fish in Orgrimmar. We didn't have much time but I'd found a pond a little further down the path into the city centre, and we were able to get to the bank and start fishing. It was a little tense - there was a low level horde guy running around on a mount the other side of the pond, no doubt shouting out our prescence (in addition to the 'Orgrimmar is under attack!' messages that would have been appearing in the local defence channel). But we were able to get our fish, get the achievement, and hearthstone out before a horde of Horde showed up. Phew!

Hearthstoning out took us back to Dalaran, of course, so we had to get back to continue exploring the rest of Durotar. So we took the portal to Darnassus and flew back to Ratchet, then crossed the river into the southern part of Durotar. The rest was routine, just criss-crossing the region until we'd filled in the map.

Time was up, and with the last region of Kalimdor to be mapped being Mulgore just to the west of where we were we decided to ride back down to Ratchet and stay in the inn there. Our next target is Thunder Bluff, and again once we've done that we can finish Mulgore and with that, Kalimdor will be ours.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home