Monday, June 23, 2008

Eastern Redridge

Level 24

We mostly stuck around Redridge to clean up some quests. We took down Yowler (who is basically no more than a level-20 version of the level-11 Hogger), took magical orbs from Shadowcasters and pendants from Gnolls, and in the process I think we've explored most of the northeast corner of Redridge. With the combined XP from the quests we were able to hit Level 24, so it was off to Stormwind again for Mage and Rogue training and to auction off some of the better gear we'd picked up.

Again the Mage training cost just about all the cash I'd made, but at least I now have a much more powerful Fireball and a reduction in the cooldown time on Fire Blast, among other things. Together with the increased health and mana that comes with the level-up, I think we're now truly ready for the Deadmines - Rhahk'Zor is just an NPC and therefore it's impossible to really hate him, but I want to get past him and my upgraded fire spells should help leave the fat bugger crispy-fried. In the meantime we still have three or four quests outstanding in Redridge. Which to do first... we'll figure that out later.

I also got Teleport training, meaning that (with the help of a Rune of Teleportation) I can get back to Stormwind in a hurry from wherever I happen to be - probably something I'd only do in an emergency since it only works on me and Kate would be left behind, and in any case the runes aren't cheap. (Later I should get the Portal skill, which will allow us to travel together.)

The auctions seem to have been helping with the money, although it's often disappointing when a very basic item such as a gem sells and yet an item of 'green' armour or a weapon fails to get bids. I'd need to keep accounts to see how things are really working out but I'm fairly sure that overall I'm making more money on sales than I'm losing with lost deposits. At the moment I've got five items up, including a Claymore I picked up from a Gnoll that I expect to sell well, and a gem that I can't recall where I got.

Note to self: repay Kate the 25 silver she gave me, and the cost of a rune, when I'd spent all my cash on training and reagents. Plus interest.

Kate keeps getting ahead of me on XP even though we're grouped. It doesn't really bother me other than that I like it better when we're tracking each other on levels. In any case, I think I know why this is happening; originally I'd assumed that XP was split evenly among group members, but I'm beginning to think that what really happens is that the XP is portioned according to how much damage each group member does. So if a mob has 1000 hit points, I do 400 damage and Kate deals out the other 600, then she gets 60% of the XP and I get 40%. This is definitely possible because as a Rogue, Kate's character deals out damage faster than my Mage can. Another possibility is that the group member that finishes a fight gets a bigger share of the XP - and again this would explain it because Kate finishes the fights more often than I do. I think WoWWiki has a section about the detailed game mechanics, so I may do a little research about groups and XP.

Reality

Regular readers (Sid and Doris Bonkers of Epping) will have noticed that this has turned into a World of Warcraft blog, since I've written about nothing else for the last week or more. The plain reason is that (1) I want to write, but (2) I don't feel much like writing about what I'm doing at work (boring to the nth degree) or stuff that upsets or depresses me. That's not to say that there's nothing good going on - there are plenty of good things but in many cases those things are too personal for a blog, or involve Kate who may not want these things made public, or for other reasons are just not suitable blog material.

So for the foreseeable future the major subject of the posts here will be our adventures in Azeroth - something that's fun and easy to write about, hurts nobody, and may be a useful reference for ourselves or others.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home