Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Swords and Bandages

We started way too late to do very much, but we did make some progress. We've gained a few levels since we got the Archeus swords back at Raven Hill (I'd hit level 37 the previous day), so while I was waiting on Kate I spent a few minutes in the auction house looking to see if there were any swords that were better. I found one that does 30.0 DPS with a chance of up to 114 extra damage, compared to 23.9 DPS and a chance of 85 Arcane damage for Archeus. I bought it, equipped it and compared the stats, and it was a beauty so I went back to the auction house and got one for Kate.

Kate needed to get out to Theramore for the Triage quest to push her first-aid skill up a notch, so off we went. The Triage quest is tricky but we've both done it before and I think we've got it down to a fine art; we got it on about the third attempt this time.

We were technically out of time at that point but we decided to do one other quick thing before packing it in; we needed to get Razorspine's Sword (Razorspine being a relatively high-level murloc to be found on the coast north of Theramore) so we decided to take a quick run up the beach, knock over Razorspine, grab the sword then continue north to Ratchet on the Barrens coast to open up the flightpath there.

And it was pretty much that simple. We had a few detours along the way for Kate to collect herbs and for me to mine some copper and tin, and when we got to Ratchet we hit the forge for repairs, and so that I could smelt the copper and tin I'd picked up and do a little jewelcrafting, and made a quick trip to the bank there so I could make a bit of space in my packs, and last but not least opened the flightpath. With that all done we settled in the inn in Ratchet for the night.

We're not sure just yet which way we'll go next; we have open quests in Wetlands, Arathi, Dustwallow Marsh and maybe Hillsbrad (and in fact, I think that's the order we should do them too), but we also need to make a decision about hitting the Arathi Basin battleground (incidentally I did a little more research to answer the big question I mentioned yesterday, and as far as I can tell it's not possible for an enemy player to loot stuff from us if we get wiped).

Here's the deal with the battleground: players go into an instance, bracketed by level (20-29, 30-39, etc.). I'm level 37, Kate's 36; if we hold off until Kate hits 38 - by which time I should be 38 or 39 - we'll be at the top end of the 30-39 bracket and that may give us a better chance. If we hold off until level 40 we'll be at the bottom end of the next higher bracket, and that probably isn't such a good thing. So what I'm going to suggest to Kate is that we continue questing until she hits 38 then go for the battleground right then. I'm curious about the battlegrounds, and I want to get some of the Honour points and be able to buy some of the stuff that goes with them. So basically, although I'm apprehensive about going up against enemies with real, human players behind them, I'm still determined to get in there and have a go.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home