Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Grinding in Redridge

We spent quite a long time exploring the southern and southeastern parts of Redridge Mountains - as I'd suspected, a look at the map confirmed that we'd pretty much covered the northeast. Starting in the south, we swept east then north and found that the enemies get tougher as you go along. One unexpected find was a group including leatherworkers and a skinning trainer, hidden away in a pass in the farthest eastern reach of Redridge. Although I wasn't able to make use of their specialities, it did give me an opportunity to sell some of the picked-up junk clogging my packs and get my equipment repaired.

Ultimately, in the area just south of the nearby tower, we found a large Gnoll camp - Warriors and Shadowcasters mostly, and all level 25/26 - and there are enough of them about that you can't take out more than half of them before they start respawning again. We stayed in that area, grinding for XP, for quite a while before heading back to Lakeshire and then flying on to Stormwind. Thanks to all the XP I'm now halfway to level 25, thanks to all the drops I have four items up for auction, and thanks to the cash we picked up I now have 33-armour head protection.

We still have at least two quests remaining in Redridge - one to take out 15 Blackrock Champions in the hills north of Lakeshire, and another to find and eliminate 'Lieutenant Fangore', who I suspect could be another Gnoll but I can't be sure. Before that, though, we're going to take another shot at the Deadmines and before we do that Kate wants to pick up some extra protective items in Stormwind. I also want to find something to disenchant for Strange Dust - I have a spell to add +1 to all resistances on a cloak, and I want to use it on Kate's cloak before we hit the mines.

So we have a plan for our next trip: Grind for Strange Dust, Stormwind for equipment, Deadmines, then (if time permits) back to Lakeshire for the Champions and the Lieutenant. If we can do all that we'll have cleared six quests, hopefully leaving none remaining in Westfall or Redridge, and be ready to move on to Duskwood.

One slight wrinkle is that while fighting the Gnolls we both picked up pendants that start a new quest - this one means going back to the Tower of Azora in the eastern part of the Elwynn Forest. The Tower is quite a way from any flightmaster so we'll have to hoof it, and I'm thinking that the quickest way may be to walk from Lakeshire or even Darkshire rather than Stormwind.

I really hope this doesn't start a new quest chain that means sticking around that area, because I'm itching to see new parts. In fact I've been looking at the maps to see how we might manage the quest to the Stonetalon Mountains in Kalimdor. As far as I can tell we'd fly to Ironforge then strike out east then north into the Wetlands. We'd have to pass through Wetland Town - which is neutral so there could be Horde there - but if we can make it we'd hit the road east to Menethil Harbour. Then we could decide whether or not we wanted to continue; Menethil has a flightmaster so we could easily abort at that point.

If we decided to continue we'd take the ship to Auberdine in northwest Kalimdor, then on foot south to Stonetalon. As far as I can tell most of the zones we'd pass through are relatively safe for level 24 although I'm not sure about the approach to Stonetalon itself - the indications on the map are that mountains to the north might be an obstacle and if so we'd have to skirt round them to the east, which could take us dangerously close to a Horde zone.

Once in Stonetalon Peak we still have to perform the quest - to collect eight basilisk scales (or is it salamander scales? I don't remember for sure). The trip back would be safe and easy by comparison - Gryphon to Auberdine, ship to Menethil Harbour, Gryphon to Stonewind then take the scales to the quest giver in the Mage quarter for the reward.

The whole thing would be risky, but I keep thinking what an adventure! New places, new sights, flights on Gryphons, a sea voyage! I want to talk this over with Kate and see what she thinks.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home