Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Yet More Eastern Redridge

Grinding for the Good Stuff

Things didn't go according to plan (they rarely do). One of the things we'd noticed in the Gnoll camp in eastern Redridge was a chest that always seemed to contain some good stuff. We decided to do a bit more grinding in that area, in part for the XP but mostly for that chest. We both got killed a couple of times (these guys are a level or two above us, and there are a lot of them about) but we got level 25 and picked up some good stuff.

We did three quests - the first was to take the pendants that we'd picked up the day before over to the Tower of Azora. That led to another quest that meant coming back with different pendants and placing them on a statue near the tower, and that led to another quest that involved dropping a pendant into a jar on the top of the Stonewatch Tower - this last one being made much easier by the fact that someone had been in the tower just before us and killed everything in the tower and the surrounding area.

With all that done we nipped over to Stormwind, fiddled a bit with some auctions and picked up a couple of things. One was Strange Dust - nothing I'd found and disenchanted in Redridge had yielded any dust so I ended up buying two units on an auction buyout; now at least I can add that +1 to all resistances to Kate's cloak. I also picked up two Tailoring patterns that'll let me create eight-slot bags that I can auction off (the six-slot bags I've made all sold well).

Kate bought me a necklace that adds 10 to my attack power - even though I'm not a melee fighter, this'll help when something gets too close. Even though she never says anything I still owe her a bunch of cash for the things she's bought to help me out.

We're all set now to hit the Deadmines again, and with level-25 and all the other stuff we've got, Rhahk'Zor isn't going to find us easy meat the next time we meet him. Our next trip in, we're going directly to the Deadmines before we do anything else.

Going West

I talked to Kate about taking a trip to Kalimdor, but before that some research I did gave us a new reason to head that way.

According to WoWWiki, there are only four Alliance Weapon Trainers in the whole of Azeroth, and only one does Bow training - and he (or she) is located in Darnassus on the island of Teldrassil, just a hop from Auberdine in northwest Kalimdor.

Kate and I are both wary about going to the Stonetalon Mountains, mostly because there's a Horde settlement close by. If we just did Teldrassil for the bow training then returned to the Eastern Kingdoms, that wouldn't be a worry. But we're also a little concerned about the neutral Wetlands town that we'd have to go near or through on the way to Menethil Harbour - and there's no avoiding that area if we want to go to Kalimdor.

My main concern comes from the fact that any Horde we meet won't be NPCs - they'll be other players, and therefore unpredictable and potentially dangerous. If we were to encounter one or two lower-level characters we could simply avoid confrontation, and if they're dumb enough to take on two level-25 opponents then they'll get what's coming to them. But there's always the danger of running into higher-level characters, or a large group, in which case we could be in serious trouble.

I'm probably making way too much of this; for all I know the chance of anything happening is very low, and we might walk right through the Wetlands without a hint of trouble. And in any case, there's a chance of there being other Alliance players nearby, so we wouldn't necessarily be quite so vulnerable.

Nevertheless we decided to defer this until we have a couple more levels - 26 or 27, say - and in the meantime we still have plenty of quests to clear up.

The Guild that Isn't

We can't go into Stormwind without being pestered to join one guild or another. I'll be in the middle of buying stuff from a vendor or trading with Kate, and suddenly I'll get a popup telling that someone has invited me to join their guild. It seems to be getting worse as we level; I suspect that when someone sees a level-25 Mage and Rogue with no guild affiliation, they assume we'll want to join. I hate to think how things are going to be when we get to level 30, 40, 50. These people don't think; if we wanted to be part of a guild we'd have joined one by now. The fact that we haven't should be a signal that says we don't want to.

So I'm thinking of starting a guild of our very own: The UnGuild. An antisocial non-community of players who don't want to be in a guild. Join us then forget us. Communication between guild members limited to a 'hi' or a friendly wave. No guild tabard; no guild vault at the bank; no web page; no nothing. The UnGuild's one and only benefit of membership: reduction or elimination of pestering by members of other guilds. Our motto: "I don't want to belong to any club that will accept people like me as a member".

I'm almost serious about this, and frankly I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't already been done. I may do a search of the online Armory later to see if there's already a 'guild' like the UnGuild.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home