Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Slapping the Pig

I think we've now cleared all the quests in eastern Elwynn Forest (except for one, which I'll come back to) and most of the ones in the western end. With all the running back and forth we were able to pick up quite a bit of material for our trade skills; that in turn pushed my mining and blacksmithing skills up still further. On top of that we got level 12, so it was off to Stormwind for training.

I don't have any new mining skills just yet, but I did get another couple of blacksmithing plans and one thing I couldn't help but notice is that at least one of these new plans requires Silver - something that just doesn't seem to exist in Elwynn Forest. I may be reaching the limits of blacksmithing in this area and I suspect I'll have to wait until Westfall or maybe Redridge before I can mine materials that'll let me add many more points.

Paladin training enhanced one or two of my existing spells (I don't think I learned any new ones) but hitting level 12 also triggered a Paladin-only quest chain. I was able to finish the first part very quickly, because it required ten pieces of Linen Cloth and as it so happened I was carrying fifty (they're used to make sharpening stones), but the next part means returning to the island in the middle of Stone Cairn Lake in eastern Elwynn. I could probably handle it solo - the murlocs around there are no higher than level 10 and I've taken them on three at a time without too much trouble - but having Kate along would make things quite a bit easier as well as keeping us together on XP.

I think this quest is an important one, because I recall reading somewhere that there's a quest chain that'll give me a Resurrection spell and I think this may be the one that does that (the big clue is that the quest is to locate and resurrect some guy, using a special stone that I've been given). I have very little idea of how this spell works - I do know that I'll be able to resurrect Kate, but I don't know if I can resurrect myself (probably not). All the same, this could save us a lot of time and messing about - there's nothing worse than almost taking down an elite mob then getting wiped so that you have to run back from the local boneyard, giving the bad guy plenty of time to get back to 100% health.

I want to get that quest done next, and then I think we'll be ready for Hogger, down in Forest's Edge. As a level-11 Elite he's more like level 14 and gave our Rogue/Mage characters a lot of trouble but as a Warrior and Paladin I think we can give him a good slapping this time even though we're 'only' level 12. If Kate goes toe-to-toe with him while I stand back and keep her health up, the only thing that can really go wrong is that he knocks her health down faster than I can pile it on (I can give her a burst of around 100 points every three seconds). If it goes bad I have a spell that gives me about three seconds of invulnerability, which would give me time to either drink a mana potion and maybe boost my health with Holy Light, or resurrect Kate with minimal health then keep him busy while she drinks a potion. As Leeroy Jenkins taught us there's no point overplanning - I guess we'll just have a go and see how things work out.

Once we get past Hogger there'll be no reason to hang around in Elwynn; it'll be time to go into the Westfall.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home