Monday, June 30, 2008

Pushing Forward

Duskwood, continued

We spent some time in Stormwind, then completed another bunch of quests around Duskwood - closed out a quest for Sven Yorgen that we actually finished yesterday but hadn't got round to telling him, ran another errand for Abercrombie (which led to a bunch of to-and-fro 'quests' carrying messages between two people in different rooms in the same building), taking down a group of Nightbane Dark Runners and taking a monocle from an ogre named Zzrac'Vol (or something like that), this last quest involving fights with quite a few level-30 ogres.

Surprisingly, they weren't that hard even though we were level 27 (me) and 28 (Kate). I put it down to the fact that we both have some new equipment; Kate's bow training means that she's now able to use the 'blue' bow that we found in eastern Redridge, and for myself I have a new necklace (thanks to Kate again) that adds points to Spirit, Agility, Intellect etc., a Totem of Infliction that adds +50 to my armour and also occasionally delivers Shadow damage, a new ring, and one or two other things. All in all we're significantly tougher than we were even just a couple of days ago.

Kate hit level 28 and thanks to all the XP from relatively high-level mobs and all the quests, I wasn't too far behind. Normally we'd have zipped to Stormwind to update training but it was getting late so we've deferred that until our next trip. The plan now is to do that and then go back to Lakeshire so that we can finish up the outstanding quests there (or at least as many as we can). I think we can probably do the Deadmines now, too (yes, I know I thought that before and I was wrong; I may be wrong again but I really want to get those particular two quests off our lists).

A Guild Built For Two

When we were in Stormwind another player offered me 1gp to sign his Guild Charter; I replied that I wasn't interested in joining any guilds. He said I wouldn't have to join - he just wanted the sig and was prepared to pay for it. That struck me as strange - how would I sign the charter and then not be in the guild, and why would he want that?

I thought about that a bit and I think I've figured it out. You need ten signatures on a charter to start a new guild, but as far as I've seen there's no rule that says any guild must have ten members. Let's say I start a guild with a dozen members and then, for whatever reason, half of the membership leaves. It wouldn't make sense for the guild to automatically evaporate just because it only has six members.

I don't know if there's a minimum membership requirement for guilds, but thinking about it there should be no reason that a guild couldn't have just one member; if I was in a guild and everyone but me left, that would leave me as leader of a single-seater guild and I'd be free to recruit new members... or not.

Going back to the UnGuild idea I mentioned here a while ago, this could be another solution to the problem of being pestered to join a guild. All Kate and I would have to do is set up a guild and find eight other people to sign our charter on the understanding that as soon as the guild is established they would leave. We'd then have a two-person guild.

So in hindsight I'll bet that's exactly what this guy was doing when he asked me to sign, and if I'd thought of that earlier I'd probably have done it; I'd have belonged to his guild for the few minutes it took for him to gather his signatures, then I'd have been out again and a whole gold piece better off.

And again, in hindsight - a lot of the time players will just throw a charter at you and (I guess) hope you'll sign it. This guy had the courtesy to ask first, wasn't pushy and was prepared to pay for doing him a favour. He was actually trying to be nice about it.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home